Sunday, July 29, 2012

Our Mutual Friend

I finished Nicholas Nickleby at Starbucks and I'd forgotten how peculiarly satisfying happy endings are. Of course I cried when Smike died although I didn't see a situation where he could have survived and been happy. In Martin Chuzzlewit, Tom Pinch whose love was unrequited and would only ever be unrequited was still better off. He had a sister who loved and treasured him and a friend who was to be his sister's husband who treasured him likewise. The people around him had a true appreciation of his good qualities.

Smike on the other hand was there on sufferance only. No matter how kind Nicholas was to him, it was an act of charity. NIcholas was kind and he cared for the wretched boy who had never known kindness since he was born. But it was not the same. As Charles Cheeryble pointed out, he would have felt his deficiencies more and more as time went by.

He was truly a tragic character and I snuffled my way through that bit as I always do. I can't remember how many times I've read Nicholas Nickleby, but it's not as many times as I've read Pickwick. I'd forgotten a lot of the story and it was a pleasant surprise, most times to discover all the bits I'd forgotten. Or rather, rediscover.

Which is why it's so weird to read Our Mutual Friend. I'm 5 chapters into it and it is a strange book altogether, not even written in his usual style (I think so far I've been reading his early books and his is one of his late ones) and I find it a little confusing and a little took arty at times.

Yes, there is the Dickens sarcasm, but the way it is couched well I have to read the same line a few times to get at his meaning.

There's is a murder, there is a mystery, there's is a fractious woman and rubicund man. There are upstarts with no father or grandfathers of any name trying to make it in society. There is a virtuous daughter and a cantankerous father. All elements for a great story?

Let me read a little more and I'll tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment