Monday, July 16, 2012

Martin Chuzzlewit (I Make A Beginning)


I've decided that I'm not just going to read his books. At least one I'll watch as a movie. At least one, I'll listen to the audio version. Problem is, you can't listen to him while doing something else. Yesterday, I began Martin Chuzzlewit, and I listened but barely one word in 10 was comprehensible. It starts off with a dose of Dickensian humour...but, you need to train your eyes on the page, concentrate on what he is saying, to get the full effect of it.

And in the beginning, at least one joke was lost until I read the text and realised that what had been said was actually very funny.

So, not having Martin Chuzzlewit on hand, I have to rely on Project Gutenberg. I've read the preface and the postscript and the first chapter, but not beyond that. I kept falling asleep last night while trying to read...the funny thing is, I had been in a roaring rage just prior to laying head on pillow which is usually good for a few hours of insomnia. But Dickens can have a soporific effect. His dense sentences full of humour and mockery, are surprising soothing.

They lull you.

All I know is that Chuzzlewit is about hypocrites.

And I prefer the novels about hypocrites to the novels about politics.

Although I don't think he has a novel that does not have hypocrites. At least, not among those I've read so far.

All three of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment