Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mercy or Charity?

I'm one fifth ways through Martin Chuzzlewit....Dickens does sharpen his wits on the Pecksniff daughters. I don't know who he despises more, Charity or Mercy. I've read to the point of Martin Chuzzlewit the elder proposing an alliance of sorts with Pecksniff whom he hates. Methinks there's a trap and he's doing that to involve that good fellow in as much plotting/intrigue from the rest of the family as he sees fit. I guess he's finally devised a fitting punishment. Which is "live my life and see".

Haha...the book is very funny.

I was reading it on the iPad as I waited for my car to be serviced. It's passed the 10,000km mark. I was having difficulty using the iPad and so I reset my Apple ID and password and ce'st voila...it worked. So I sat in the Suzuki showroom and went through two chapters of Martin...I am not rushing it...there is a peculiar pleasure to reading the books, and now I realise that once I'm done, I'll be pretty sad.

But no matter, Dickens is eminently read-againable.

On other news Sabrina Yeap, the founder of Furry Friends Farm died. I think she was one of the truly great Malaysians. Furry Friends was one of the kindest sanctuaries...it was no-kill and all the animals there adored her.

I left Arnold there for about a month and by the time I came back to get him (because I couldn't take it anymore) he was so attached to her that he didn't want to come back. She told me Arnold had figured out how to open a particular gate and let the other dogs out, at which he would bark...because she was inside with the cats and he wanted her to come out. Tricksy little bumblebee.

I go off to Singapore tomorrow...but I'll bring the iPad and read Chuzzlewit in between all the other stuff I have to do.

Mercy or Charity?

Merry or Cherry?

You decide.

2 comments:

  1. I'd take a merry mercy over a cherry of charity, methinks. Read-againable...

    You're awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for you thinking I'm awesome. :-)

    OK I'm done now and I see why you picked Mercy or Charity, though to begin with, they both seemed equally odious. See, Dickens is starting to affect me, I'm using words like odious...soon I shall resort to narratorial intervention and them other good things that he liked to pepper his novels with.

    ReplyDelete