Sunday, February 8, 2015

Man is a giddy thing, and this is my conclusion

I watched the Kenneth Branagh production of Much Ado About Nothing and found it so perfect that I had difficulty in reading the actual play - because he cut some of the dialogue, some of the scene complications and actually rearranged others that now, whatever he cut seems superfluous to the telling of the story.

I watched it several times. I think it sets up two couples in opposition. The first couple, Beatrice and Benedick claim to hate each other and the opposite sex: one a confirmed bachelor and the other a confirmed spinster who is too shrewd for marriage. But ah, dig deeper. There is something not quite true about the way Benedick rails at marriage. And we soon learn that Beatrice had once felt a certain tenderness for Benedick. In this production, at least, it is obvious that despite her thrusts and parries, she still feels it.

My favourite scenes are the "merry war of words" between the two. I wish there had been more of them. That makes me partly regret the trick played where they had to come out in the open about how they really feel about each other. And despite the self congratulation of the others for bringing about this match, I think that the depth of feeling between the two when finally revealed suggests something older and deeper than what could have come about through means of a trick, be it never so clever.

The other couple on the other hand, the model couple - young and handsome and rich - disgust me. Hero, for being the dutiful daughter with not a speck of spirit to her, trotting along obediently and marrying whomsoever her father should choose, and Claudio, for being a stupid, young, self-seeking bastard. I cannot help but remember that one of the first questions he asked the Prince, when talking about Hero, was what her prospects were. And he firmly established that she was Leonato's only heir before he pursued his suit.

As for Don John, the acknowledged villain of the piece. He found an easy mark in Claudio. That he could fool him not once but twice, is remarkable. It also showed how self serving Claudio was.

And oh, the prize of one-sided virginity insisted upon - upon my honour, I am a maid. The scene Claudio caused at the wedding, denouncing Hero for damaged goods and the stupid Prince, who had until then been so regal and above it all, supporting him. Of course I lost all respect for the prince. Denzel Washington though he may be.

And I liked Benedick even more for taking Hero's part and issuing that challenge on Claudio.

Kill Claudio?

Yes, I think he would have done everybody a favour had he done so.

But enough of that! The drama bit was overdone and I hated the fact that until the last, Hero was traded as a commodity. She was little else in the game, her own father turning upon her with the accusation, not caring to find out the rights and wrongs before he attacked her.

Poor poppet. She was sorely done by.

I can't understand why Margaret allowed her mistress to be denounced in the way she did and why she didn't set them straight at once. Perhaps she would not have been believed.

And Don John was found and brought back and would have to pay for his misdeeds, although, in light of all the merriment, that part was to be conducted offstage. Well and good.

For man is a giddy thing. And this is my conclusion.

Except when he is not giddy enough and insists on his portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment