Saturday, August 4, 2012

Kyrie Eleison

I've finished Our Mutual Friend. Maybe I'm suffering from Dickens-fatigue and need to take a break because whatever the subtleties of this book, they were wasted on me. OK, I have to admit that his presentation of the great mystery was masterfully done. I thought John Rokesmith's identity was the mystery although it was glaringly obvious from the first page who he was. But Dickens kindly informs us in the afterword that it wasn't. There was a greater mystery. And yes, I was surprised when that was revealed. I never suspected and I was thinking...hmmm...too many loose ends to tie up, and yet all were tied up beautifully when the deeper mystery was revealed.

I wonder that Bella didn't resent it more when all was revealed but I guess she was a true penitent and saw herself for what she used to be and didn't shrink from the fact that others may have seen it too.

Bradley Headstone and his hatred and his jealousy and his passion (in the worst possible sense) was an enigma. There was not one softening influence here. He was all bad and so very bad at that. You are not supposed to feel sorry for him. A wretch through and through.

I'm glad Lizzie Hexam was strong enough to resist her brother's selfishness...he lost the most by being so selfish. So careful of his own skin and his own reputation, he lost his sister who was probably the best thing in his life. He was "raising himself up" to respectability. But Wrayburn took his measure from the first. I rather liked Wrayburn.

OK, the Veneerings...I know he meant to make fun of society and reveal the falseness beneath but I think a gentler touch would have been more effective. What with the Veneerings and the Podsnaps and the Buffers....and let's not forget Lady Tippins, he only succeeded in creating the grotesque. And yet, at the end, little Twemlow, a true gentleman, comes out shining.

Away false people, away with the brightness of your teeth and the pomatum in your hair.

Maybe it was a little too whimsical for my taste. And all the faults they could heap on the other books - sentimentality, little Nells, bland heroines...but no. Neither Bella nor Lizzie were bland. Though there was a touch of Dolly Varden in our Bella with her rosy kissable lips and who was loved because she was pretty.....the way Dolly was.

The Lammles were scary. Especially Alfred Lammle. I can't think why his wife didn't leave him when he was so awful. I liked the Doll's Dressmaker. She was a valiant little thing. And in the end, Dickens hinted that Sloppy would be the one to take her little hand.

Amazing.

Betty Highden....I know he was trying to make a point, but here too, a gentler touch would have made it more effective. As it was she was so overdrawn as to appear ridiculous. Sad. But ridiculous.

I can't wait for the book in which there is a spontaneous combustion.

Bleak House.

I wonder when I'll get to that.

4 comments:

  1. All in good time! My copy should be arriving later this week, so hopefully we'll be reading it at or near the same time (you'll probably burn through it, though I may have to settle for an hour each evening). Hope life has been good to you, otherwise. :-)

    Cheers,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post here a day or two ago and it looks like Google may have pulled it down, based on the whole phone number debacle (detailed on my blog). Sigh. My books, including Bleak House, should arrive in a few days, so hopefully I can get started soon. Hope life's been treating you well, otherwise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Testing... (two earlier comment attempts failed quietly after reporting success, so trying to get it all sorted).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mike...nice to see you here....

    ReplyDelete